Although disappointed at his failure at Rainhill, Hackworth returned to Shildon knowing that his failure was not of his making. He had presented himself very well and having sold "Sans Pareil", his reputation was enhanced. Waiting for him at Shildon was a locomotive from Robert Stephenson & Co. which had taken an unusual long time to make. The Locomotive was named "Rocket" (not to be confused with the Rainhill "Rocket".). This was a 6 wheeled coupled engine with the cylinders fixed diagonally on either side of boiler. The engine had a habit of starting on its own and at one point it had almost killed its driver.
At this time, Hackworth was requested by the Committee to build a suitable engine for the proposed extension of the line to Middlesbrough. Until now engines had been built principally to haul heavy coal trains, where speed was not desirable, and as the new engine was required for passenger traffic, a faster and more reliable locomotive was envisaged. The locomotive was so different from other locomotives of the time, not only in its constructive design, but also in its external looks. This marked another era in the development of the locomotive. Hackworth named the locomotive the "Globe".
With space at a premium at the Shildon workshops there was insufficient room to build the "Globe", and as a consequence Hackworth was directed to proceed to Stephenson's factory at Newcastle with the necessary plans and to build the locomotive as quickly as possible. He left on 1st March, 1830, his journey taking in visits to Stockton, Stranton, Sunderland, North and South Shields, Newcastle and Bedlington.
On his arrival at Newcastle on 3rd March, he travelled to Bedlington to order the boiler plates. From 4th March, He spent 3 days laying the designs before officials, including information on the first crank-axled inside double horizontal cylindered engine ever designed. One of the officers took exception to this axle on the grounds it would involve a loss of power (Practical Mechanics' Journal, 1850).To this observation he responded that he and he alone was responsible for the design, Robert Stephenson & Co. merely being responsible for the supply of suitable materials and building of the locomotive, and their promise of a speedy delivery. Such objections did not seem to last long, as when the "Globe" was half completed, they delayed its construction, whilst they built an engine with a similar crank axle. That locomotive was the "Planet", delivered to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in October 1830. The "Globe" took a further 2 months to complete.
The "Globe" was delivered to the Stockton and Darlington Railway in December 1830, and on the 27th of that month, the locomotive made its debut, the occasion being the opening of the line between Darlington and Middlesbrough. It maintained high speeds and is believed to have run at 50 mph, which was no small achievement. It successfully hauled passenger trains on the line for nine years.
"On arriving at Middlesbrough, the procession was received with loud acclamations by the assembled multitude, and the firing of guns from the vessels in the river, and of others on the shore. Flags of every size and description, from the Union-jack of England downward, floated on the breeze from the roofs of the respective buildings, and the day being uncommonly fine, the appearance of the whole was highly picturesque and beautiful." Durham Chronicle, 1st January 1831.
In the latter part of the decade "Globe" exploded, not as a result of poor design or workmanship, but due to it running out of water. She was never rebuilt.
"In the 'Globe', the new passenger engine, which Hackworth has placed upon the Stockton and Darlington line, he is the first to secure steadiness at a high speed through horizontal cylinders and a crank driving axle." Pangborn - The History of Railway Locomotion.
With the "Globe" not yet complete, Hackworth was called upon to design a series of locomotives for the increasing trade in coal haulage. He prepared plans for two different types of engine, with 6 of each built. In design, they were not disimilar, and followed the arrangement of inverted cylinders used in the "Royal George". They had "long engines" and where called the "Majestic" and "Wilberforce" type locomotives.The "Majestic" locomotives were manufactured equally, by Robert Stephenson & Co., and R. & W. Hawthorn. 6 locomotives were produced, namely; 'Majestic No.12', 'Coronation No.13', 'William IV No.14', 'Northumbrian No.15', 'Lord Brougham No.17' and 'Shildon No.18'. The class were all alike externally, but were different in the arrangement of boiler tubes. The first locomotive to be built was named "Bedlington" with the number 2. However, as William IV came to the throne in 1830, it was renamed "Majestic" in 1831 with the running number 12.
The Wilberforce locomotives differed from the majestics with regard to the boilers only, the designs being much the same, with inside frames and six coupled wheels. They were spring mounted throughout.
Like the "Majestic" Locomotives, the "Wilberforce" locomotives were also manufactured equally, by Robert Stephenson & Co., and R. & W. Hawthorn. These were; 'Director No. 16', 'Darlington No. 19', 'Adelaide No. 20', 'Earl Grey No. 21', 'Lord Durham No. 22', and ';Wilberforce No. 23'. Both the "Majestic" and "Wilberforce" class locomotives entered service on the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1831 & 1832, with the exception of "Wilberforce"(23), which was not completed until 1833.
It is worthy of note the amount of progress that was made in the 6/7 years since Locomotion No. 1. made its historical journey. Locomotion averaged the haulage of some 250 tons per mile per hour, compared with the "Wilberforce" type carrying 1,250 tons per mile per hour. One of the Stockton and Darlington Officers was quoted as saying"... Take them weight for weight, they surpass any engines on the line..." .
"Director" was sold to James Bray in 1843 for £400 and "Darlington" was sold to John Anderson in 1856 for £250. "Adelaide"was sold in 1858 and used as a stationary engine grinding clay at the Saltburn Brickworks and subsequently driving a mortar mill at a site near Saltburn Station. "Lord Durham" and "Earl Grey" were disposed of in 1848 and 1858 respectively. It is not certain when "Wilberforce" was withdrawn, however it certainly outlived the other locomotives of its class on the Stockton and Darlington Railway.
Timothy Hackworth had been with the Stockton & Darlington for over 8 years from his initial appointment in 1825, during which time he had been 'manager' of the railway as opposed to his original appointment as 'superintendent'. He was desirous of engaging in other engineering works and building locomotives for other Railway Companies. In 1833, he conclude an agreement with the Stockton and Darlington Railway, whereby he took over from the Company,the contract for working the lines, including locomotives, workshops, tools and equipment. He was to be responsible for the provision of locomotives, fuel and other consumeables, the acquisition of labour, and maintenance of rolling stock. Timothy Hackworth, thus became independent of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and would be able to build his own business as a builder of engines.
In anticipation of this event he had acquired land at Shildon on which he erected a foundry, workshops, houses and other buildings. The company was called Hackworth and Downing, and he placed his brother Thomas in charge of the works. Downing did continue with his part in the company for very long and his brother Thomas left in 1840 to go into partnership with George Fossick building waggons and locomotives in Stockton. Timothy Hackworth, thus became sole proprietor of the business.